View Single Post
Old 6-Jun-2016, 3:45 AM   #9
eggman531916

Success!

Alrighty then. First off, I must humbly admit that I was wrong about the antennas interfering with each other. Secondly, it turns out that while real channel 8 is a strong signal, it can still be blocked. While I don't understand why I could pick it up everywhere around her house and in every direction, it turns out that my final mounting spot needed some adjustments by first cutting a single branch that was about 10 feet directly in front of the yagi, and secondly, for whatever the reason at this spot, I actually had to aim the thing whereas before, it wasn't necessary. I tried each antenna individually first and when that didn't work, I plugged the 8-bay into the VHF port, which also didn't work. That's when I noticed the branch and cut it. Channel 8 came back in pixelated (it wasn't even doing that when I got there). I aimed it about 10-15 towards the direction of the transmitter and it cleared up perfectly. So, problem solved. And in my haste to hurry before the thunderstorm rolled in, I over tightened the balun and broke it, losing all Vhf-Hi channels. Of course, I didn't have a spare, so I stripped the coax and put the ground braid to one side and the center conductor to the other and it worked (I think I saw this in one of the other threads). Not the greatest solution, but it should hold until I can get back down there to put another balun on it. Can someone tell me why this worked and if that's the case, why use one at all? I'm going to copy and paste this for the Digital Canada forum as well.(That's alot of typing.)
eggman531916 is offline   Reply With Quote