View Single Post
Old 12-Oct-2015, 6:26 PM   #14
NashNet

Thank you for the comment, ADTech. The metaphorical reference to Forrest Gump's mom's chocolate delivery is understood and appropriate, I agree. It's funny too and would have been hilarious but for the fact that I just cannot do outside/roof-top installation. Honestly, it's not about $ or elegance/aesthetics or any of that. The HOA just won't allow it. They allow such things on a balcony or private use real estate but not on any commons-area such as the roof. So, that's how I'm stuck. I want something for the next 10 months and when we buy a house (we just moved from NJ), I'm going to go for the kill better equipped.

All that said, are you suggesting that there is no hope in my case? Given how two important channels are VHF (PBS-8 and NBC-10) and CBS is bad in UHF, would the only way I can get anything decent is if I go to the rooftop? Is there a solution at all that I could experiment in the attic or should I just forget this whole thing and just stick with the blood-sucking cable provider.

Money is definitely one reason but I also want to go with OTA because of the personal satisfaction of ditching the big gorillas. I know this Joe Bloe won't make a dent in their side. Am I sounding (looking) like the Don charging the windmills? That's how my wife depicts my antics in select, large get-togethers. I'll settle for that :-)

Anyway, back to the subject, if I'm ok with a trial and error approach, what system/solution would you suggest I start with? Rabbit has some prudent ideas. One of them was a DB4e with a VHF dipole add on. Of perhaps, the best I could do is a DB8e with CS 5? Where would you start? As I said, there's a cost to pay to learn and that's how I see this investment. Needless to say, I'll report back to this forum on my trials and tribulations.

Thank you and look forward to hear of potential hacks. Cheers!

"Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after." Thoreau

Last edited by NashNet; 12-Oct-2015 at 6:29 PM.
NashNet is offline   Reply With Quote