Thread: Alaska Help
View Single Post
Old 6-Jan-2019, 6:02 PM   #6
rabbit73
Retired A/V Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by waldosgone View Post
I might have been a bit unclear as far as my cell booster plans. The antenna would occupy the same mast but the booster would be inside the cabin and on the opposite wall. 15 feet of separation should be good enough?
I understand that the booster antenna inside will be close to your cell phone, but I don't have a good understanding of what goes on with the booster antenna outside on the mast. Is it just receiving signals from the cell tower, or is it also transmitting a stronger signal to the cell tower from your phone. I have read the Wilson explanations, but it's still ambiguous to me.

Quote:
A cellular signal booster works like this:•detecting and collecting very faint cell signals (much fainter than your phone can detect)
•helping those faint signal bypass various obstructions
•amplifying the faint signals to a useable level
•broadcasting the amplified signals to an interior space – like your home, office or vehicle – so they can be picked up by your phone or other cellular device

When you use your phone, the process works in reverse to send amplified signals back to the cell tower to complete the communication loop.
If it is sending an amplified signal back to the tower, what is to prevent your TV antenna from receiving it?

Last edited by rabbit73; 6-Jan-2019 at 6:25 PM.
rabbit73 is offline   Reply With Quote