View Single Post
Old 9-Jan-2014, 8:01 AM   #15
StephanieS

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulliganman View Post
[B]He used the coax cable runs that were already in place from my satellite hookup. I'm not sure what you mean by the 65 db strong signals in the air.
Sixty-five db is a measure of signal strength at your location. In short, that's a very good signal. You'll see that corresponds to green on your radar plot. I mention this because with strong signals available to you and running a preamp with your antenna pointed at those strong signals, you may lessen reception because your TV receiver is overloaded. Think of being blinded by a extremely bright light. That's kind of the concept here. Details are lost due to the overwhelming brightness. Those details are weak signals in this case.

Quote:
I don't know what an A/B Switch is.
A/B Switch: http://www.amazon.com/Parts-Express-.../dp/B0002ZPIQ4 Allows you to have two leads of coax coming down off your roof and indoors, it is a switch those two coaxes terminate into, sending one coax forward and the ability to switch back and forth which antenna you want to watch.

Do you have the ability to watch both antennas at any time or do you just have one hooked up right now?

Quote:
Yes he put in a distribution amp. We are splitting the signal to three TV's
Ok. Very good. Generally, I avoid the mix of preamps followed distrubution amps. In your situation with quite a bit of good signal strength available a distribution amp may be appropriate doing 3 splits to compensate for coax losses, but I would remove the preamp absolutely.

Quote:
He did check signal with one TV before moving on. The question is whether the Clearstream 2V was aimed at 349 compass while doing so.
Yes. getting the clearstream 2v to magnetic 349 without the preamp and seeing that if you get FOX, then we can go forward in remapping your system a bit.

Quote:
I don't know what you mean by HAM radio but I would be interested in finding an additional installer who could recheck/readjust.
Ham radio is amateur radio. Not CB as in "breaker breaker", but the people doing shortwave and working with morse code who set up elaborate systems to communicate all over the world. I would actually prefer in your case someone with amateur radio experience help you because I'd be inclined to trust them more than some guy in a truck who says "buy this" and is more concerned about sales than setting your system up right - they would take the time to understand your setup and choose the right components. You wouldn't be sold a 2 foot plastic "100 mile antenna" for sure. They'd smell that B.S. a continent away.

Here's an example of an organization and people to contact: http://www.arrl.org/Groups/view/sout...club/type:club

good luck.

Last edited by StephanieS; 9-Jan-2014 at 8:08 AM.
StephanieS is offline   Reply With Quote