View Single Post
Old 28-Sep-2011, 4:24 PM   #3
be236

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterMe View Post
I have a different group of candidates. We agree on Samsung. It is my understanding that Samsung manufacturers its own display panels. I would also consider LG. LG holds patents on its tuners. Among the Japanese, I go with Sharp. Sharp also manufactures its own panels.

I own models of each brand. They work well. I also own a Sony. Sony is catnip to techies. I have owned several Sonys. Of these, only my little 13" flat face CRT did not fail in one way or another. The tuner in another of my Sonys--a 24" flat face analog CRT--suffered dramatic loss in sensitivity. In my newest Sony--a 40" LCD flat panel--the digital tuner craps-out when the ambient temperature rises above 72 °F. Hopefully, this Sony will be my last Sony TV until the company dramatically improves its quality.

The whole point of this forum is to select antennas with sufficient gain, aim them properly, install pre-amplifiers to ensure sufficient signal strength at the end of long cable runs [if needed], and to install distribution amplifiers [if needed] to ensure that each tuner receives sufficient signal. If you have made the correct decisions about these issues, then tuner sensitivity may be a secondary or tertiary consideration. However, sensitivity should not be your primary consideraton. The tuner for any reputable TV manufacturer should be more than adequate.

If you have narrowed your choices down to Sony and Samsung, then your decision should be a no-brainer. Samsung is the one TV that you are looking for.
Yes, of course, I'll get the best antenna and amp as possible to get the best signal as it feeds into the tuner's coaxial input connection. Of course my concern is those "weak" channels that can't be made any better and hence a better tuner can pick it up vs a weaker one that cannot lock on the weak (edge-of-the-cliff) signal SNR...

I'll definitely keep Samsung and Sony (and LG) on my top picks for best tuners! Also have to weigh that with thei picture quality as I see them on display side-by-side in stores.

Thanks for the info!

be236 is offline   Reply With Quote