View Single Post
Old 26-Jul-2012, 2:39 AM   #8
bud--

Quote:
Originally Posted by westom View Post
The mast would be earthed to connect electricity from the cloud harmlessly to earth.
Hams who expect their antennas might be hit by lighting use far more elaborate protection. The mast ground wire handles static charges from wind and similar items.

Quote:
Originally Posted by westom View Post
A lightning rod, outside and above, will connect lightning harmlessly to earth. Don't earth the mast hoping lightning will blow through the roof. Earth a lightning rod so that lightning does not even strike the roof or mast.
Lightning rod systems are engineered to protect. They would be very far down on my list of diy projects.

What does the NIST surge guide say about plug-in protectors?
They are "the easiest solution".
And "one effective solution is to have the consumer install" a multiport plug-in suppressor.

And the IEEE? The guide has only 2 detailed examples of protection. Both use plug-in protectors. That is after detailed information on plug-in protectors.

Both the IEEE and NIST surge guides say plug-in protectors are effective. Read the sources. Excellent information on surge protection.

My only association with the surge protection industry is I am using some surge protectors.

Airplanes regularly get hit by lightning.
Are they crashing?
Do they drag an earthing chain?

Repeating:
The IEEE surge guide explains (starting page 30) plug-in protectors primarily work by limiting the voltage from each wire (power and signal) to the ground at the protector. The voltage between the wires going to the protected equipment is safe for the protected equipment.

Last edited by GroundUrMast; 26-Jul-2012 at 3:04 AM. Reason: Deleting off-topic comments
bud-- is offline   Reply With Quote