View Single Post
Old 22-Dec-2011, 5:28 PM   #2
GroundUrMast

It seems like you are already have a fairly good understanding of your situation. The large trees are not helping your situation. A DIY antenna project can work well, but if there are problems, very few DIYers have the test gear and knowledge to test and refine the antenna.

Regarding an amplifier, you'll get better results using a preamp. The actual amplifier is mounted on the mast near the antenna were the signal quality has not been degraded by a coax run into the building. Power for the amplifier is inserted into the coax at a convenient (dry) location inside the building. No amplifier will make an antenna 'stronger' nor will an amplifier correct multipath or on-channel interference. Amplifiers are able to overcome the loss of cable and splitters on the output side of the amplifier, and to a limited degree, overcome poor tuner noise figure if such a problem exists.

In you case I would consider an Antennas Direct CPA-19 or a Winegard HDP-269 preamp.

I'll be interested to hear how the HD7698P performs with WPVI, real CH-6. I'm hoping there is enough signal in the air to overcome the lack of low-VHF support in the HD769X design.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')

Last edited by GroundUrMast; 23-Dec-2011 at 4:54 AM. Reason: sp. hear / here
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote