Thread: 91 XG Modified
View Single Post
Old 8-Jun-2020, 5:14 PM   #5
bobsgarage
Antenna Enthusiast

Super "163 XG"

I believe I've achieved my final modification on my Super XG. As you remember I had Taken 2 91XGs and added sections from each other to make a longer "135 XG". It worked well and I probably could have just stopped there.

I couldn't help myself. I saw the extra rear section closest to the dipole left over from the other donor antenna. I looked at spacing and sure enough if you removed every other reflector you could achieve the five and a half inch spacing of the front sections. I actually only had to drill a few holes for the mounting clamps and another because the director spacing wasn't optimal.

After flipping this rear section around and playing with the reflectors I was able to add the rear section to the front. We will call it the "163 XG":

Results were good. I think I have reached the point of diminishing returns. I also know I'm not testing under optimal laboratory type conditions. So I'll do back-to-back scans I tried to keep the test within 10 minutes of each other. Then I'll wait a while and do another back to back scan or even do it the next day. I'll test one and then the other and then the other guy back and forth scales with the same I can say to myself , yeah they are consistent. I always use the same components. Same preamp, same down cable, even the same UVSJ.

Next day:

There was quite a difference between yesterday and today. Although both days were clear, there may have still been some atmospheric conditions contributing to the strength of the scans I did this morning.

Look at the 163XGs signals in less than 24 hours:

Last edited by bobsgarage; 9-Jun-2020 at 2:03 PM.
bobsgarage is offline   Reply With Quote