View Single Post
Old 14-Apr-2016, 8:17 PM   #30
rabbit73
Retired A/V Tech

Please limit the width of your photos to about 800 pixels. I have a hard time reading your posts when they are so wide.
Quote:
I'm not sure where to go from here.
Don't make any more tests until you ground the coax with a grounding block; you are wasting your time and money.
Quote:
The amp is a RS 15-1108 that is supposed to have an outdoor amp, which I don't have.
You are wasting your time with that, too. The outdoor part is the preamp; the indoor part is only an attenuator and power supply. Even if you had both parts, it wouldn't be the right amp for you. If you must use an amp, it should be one that is resistant to overload.
Quote:
I can get all the channels I want on the RCA converter box but not without moving the antenna a few degrees.
That means that you are on the edge of the "Digital Cliff: with barely enough signal for the weak ones because of the overload from the strong ones that raises the noise floor from spurious signals created by IMD.
Quote:
The strange part is that the direction doesn't correspond with the report. I'm going to use virtual channel numbers for a minute. If I have the antenna pointed at 3,13, and 29, I have to turn it counter clockwise to get 8 and 11. They should be clockwise. Channels 3 and 30 actually have 2 strong points.
I think that is because of the FM interference and WKAS. There is less overload when you turn away from them.
Quote:
Raising the antenna higher decreases the weak signals. This still doesn't make sense unless the roof is acting as a reflector.
It could be a reflection off the roof or it could be it is making the FM signals and WKAS stronger.
Quote:
So, what is an easy way to rotate an antenna without digging it into the ground while rotating?
Use the "Armstrong Rotator." Clamp a ViceGrip wrench to the mast and rotate it by hand. Setting the base of the mast on something hard and holding it in place with a wall bracket or U bolt would help.
Quote:
If I added a second antenna, can I just use a splitter in reverse?
No, you already have enough complications; don't add another one.

Last edited by rabbit73; 14-Apr-2016 at 8:40 PM.
rabbit73 is offline   Reply With Quote