View Single Post
Old 22-Jan-2015, 3:59 PM   #14
GroundUrMast

An amplifier is only able to amplify what arrives at it's input. If you feed an amplifier with a poor quality signal (one mixed with noise for example) the amplifier will increasing the level of both the desired signal and any noise, distortion or interference. This would theoretically leave you at a net of zero improvement in overall signal quality. But in practice, amplifiers generate noise internally as well as cause some distortion of the signals during the amplification process. So an amplifier can actually reduce the net signal quality. When you drive one amplifier with another, you greatly increase the chance that there will be a great deal of signal distortion due to the second amplifier being over driven by the high output of the first.

The ideal location for an amplifier (if one is needed) is at the antenna, ahead of the losses in the cables and splitters that lay between the antenna and tuner(s). This is because very small amounts of noise are generated in passive components so there is a fixed minimum amount of noise present... Once the signal is attenuated by the losses in your cable run, there is less difference between the level of the desired signal and the background noise of the system. Another way of saying this is, 'The net noise margin of the system is reduced by the losses in your cabling'.

The bottom line is, reliable reception begins with the antenna, it's location and aim. If the antenna is not able to deliver a reliable signal to a tuner when connected via a short cable (50' or less), an amplifier is not likely to solve the problem. You will usually need to consider using an antenna with more gain (antenna gain is different than amplifier gain), adjusting the aim, move the antenna to a location where a higher quality signal is present or a combination of these remedies.

If I was facing the same conditions shown in your TV Fool report, I would not hesitate to use an outdoor mounted antenna system. I'd likely choose a combination of antennas such as an Antennas Direct DB8E + Antennacraft Y5713. I'd perform this test before spending money on an amplifier: http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=13646

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')

Last edited by GroundUrMast; 22-Jan-2015 at 4:41 PM. Reason: sp.
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote