View Single Post
Old 27-Apr-2011, 1:48 AM   #14
GroundUrMast

I certainly agree with ADTech re. the FM trap. And as long as you are able to return it, you are only risking a bit of time and gas.

When the roof gets wet, it becomes a better conductor of electricity. That makes it more effective as a shield. The radio and TV signals are reflected and absorbed by the roofing materials. Put a load of wet snow on the roof and things get really tough for an attic mounted antenna. With out a signal level meter we are left to speculate how much attenuation is caused.

The signal level prediction indicates that the top six stations on your TVF report arrive at your location 1000 times (30 dB) stronger than the nominal level used in a MATV distribution system. You do not need an amplifier. I would hold off on the purchase of the 20 dB attenuator for the moment, but again, ADTech is certainly not off base for raising the point. I'm fairly confident your splitting losses are going to take care of potential overload issues.

Reliable reception depends on more than just raw signal level. The signal needs to be free from distortion and noise. Let's try the FM trap first, it's the easiest. Then if needed, let's try the existing antenna outside in the clear. We can regroup and consider the other options after that, if needed.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')

Last edited by GroundUrMast; 27-Apr-2011 at 2:03 AM.
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote