View Single Post
Old 25-Apr-2016, 12:52 PM   #10
dustyz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billiam View Post
Replacing the RCA with a higher gain pre amp may also help. The RCA is a good amp and ideally suited in areas with some stronger signals nearby. But there are other pre amps which offer better gain and a lower noise floor that should help if you are in a real fringe or deep fringe area.
I think you are correct, the pre-amp is underpowered. (I'm using a Winegard Boost XT at the moment, however.)

Over the weekend I raised the antenna to 33ft & replaced 100ft of RG6 with RG11. So, now I have 100ft of RG11, with 3/4 of it underground + 50ft of RG6, down the antenna pole & over to the RG11... and an inline surge connector in the middle, working as a splice. No other splitters or junctions in the line, and 150ft total coax.

I can pick up a few channels on the Tivo, but they are in and out... nothing reliable. That's more than I've been able to get up to this point, so that's a good thing.

It just bothers me because I can put the HDHomerun inline between the two cables, and the signal strength is ok @ 70-75 on several channels. Decent quality too.

But, like you (and rabbit) said above, I think the pre-amp might be the problem now. It's one of those USB powered pre-amps, so I might need to spend a little more on a higher gain/voltage setup.

Recommendations? Or, do you think that's the problem? (I will likely start with the pre-amp, then swap out the remaining RG6 if that doesn't help.)

EDIT:
Here's a thought too. The underground portion of the RG11 is in a 2" conduit with 4 other wires. Two of those wires are for my PoE network, while the other two are for my alarm system. Do you think the coax is picking up a lot of noise from those?

Last edited by dustyz; 25-Apr-2016 at 12:59 PM.
dustyz is offline   Reply With Quote