View Single Post
Old 16-Oct-2014, 7:01 PM   #8
mg123

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADTech View Post
It actually says it's for VHF 7-13 & UHF 14-51. :thumb:

Your WMC signal is the strongest on your chart with a calculates noise margin of over 70 dB, that's 10 million times MORE signal than is needed for reception, before building penetration losses and other impairments. If a C2V cannot pick up a channel 5 signal that strong, there is something else wrong at your location, it's not the antenna itself. Your channel 13 signal is almost as strong and should be effectively received barring impairments from localized sources.
OK, I put the ClearStream 2V in the attic last night to see how it would work. Hooked up to the existing comcast coax into the one tv with the tivo dvr. Seems to be working very well right now. Ch 5 & 13 are coming in well. Unfortunately the attic is not tall and I cannot hang it from rafters. So the antenna is simply propped up on a box and pointing in the NW direction of the towers. And it is located in an area where there is a lot of duct work and about 15 feet away from the HVAC units. With all that being said, it is surprisingly working better than I had expected - this second time around with the 2V antenna. Maybe I did something wrong with it the first time around. Had a couple of picture hiccups last night on a particular station (ch 3, CBS), but nothing that was terrible. Seems to be working really nicely this morning/afternoon. The weather is clear and sunny, so possibly that has a lot to do with the good signal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADTech View Post
The rules have changed, this isn't your daddy's (or even your own, if you're a bit older as I am) analog TV system.
Yep - right there with ya! I remember those Indian test patterns on the tv very well And those rabbit ear antennas that would drive you crazy to try and get the reception in - even when adding the "tin foil". Then along came cable to ease all our reception troubles for all these many years. Except one thing - the cost of cable just kept skyrocketing but the quality of programs to watch went consistently down!!

Thanks timgr for the suggestion to look into a professional installer. VERY good advice as getting on the roof is not something my husband should be doing. Some things should be left to the pros! Will look into the cost of getting it up on the roof.

I have another question that is unrelated to the above. My TV sets and also the Tivo have "signal strength meters" but I cannot find anything for signal "quality". From reading these threads on the board, it seems that you can have strong signals (as I think we have) but still have signal "quality" issues. How do you measure that? Is there a "meter" to do so?

In my Tivo dvr there is a "diagnostic" screen that I can access in the software but it brings up a lot of technical details that I have no idea what I am looking at. When viewing that "diagnostic" screen is there something that I should look for that would tell me if the "quality" of my signal is good?

Also, just saw on our local WMC tv station (local NBC) website that they suggest this antenna: Channel Master CM3016 Suburban Advantage TV Antenna. Would this be better than the ClearStream 2V antenna?

Again - thanks for all the help

Last edited by mg123; 16-Oct-2014 at 7:17 PM.
mg123 is offline   Reply With Quote