View Single Post
Old 25-Nov-2017, 3:07 AM   #17
Dagwood

Back again.

I haven't had any more incidents of everything going completely out, but I am having reception problems.

As previously noted in this thread, I do not get FOX in the summertime but it always starts coming in around the end of September and lasts until maybe early May. This fall it didn't come in. So I've been on the roof numerous times rotating the antenna slightly either way. I have trees and a phone pole for reference points.

As time went on it started coming in, probably because the weather got colder, not from me adjusting the antenna.

So here we are in late November and I'm still having problems, not only with FOX but with CBS (my two weakest channels). I can't tell you how many times I've been on the roof (twice just today) and I'm getting tired of it. When winter sets in and there is snow on the roof, I will not go up there (too old for that stuff).

There has to be something wrong because I've never had problems like this, this late in the fall, since I installed everything new in 2011.

So tonight I re-checked the pre-amp, per the Wineguard clip that rabbit posted above.

Power supply, 27.6 V - good
"ANT" connection on injector, 15.1 V - good

So the next step I guess is to check the coax that feeds the preamp on the roof. If that checks out good, what is my next step? I would assume the pre-amp itself is maybe weak, but is there a way of checking that? TIA.

EDITED TO ADD: The reception problems I am having now are just slight -- enough to be annoying like the audio cutting in and out, or occasional pixelation -- but sometimes more than I want to put up with so I have to switch to something other than CBS or FOX.

Last edited by Dagwood; 25-Nov-2017 at 3:26 AM.
Dagwood is offline   Reply With Quote