View Single Post
Old 29-Sep-2017, 12:55 AM   #87
rabbit73
Retired A/V Tech

Nice work on finding a hot spot for your signals.

There are two ways of running coax underground. RG6 in conduit, or direct burial coax without conduit.

With coax in conduit, there are two schools of thought. You can use water tight conduit or perforated conduit in a sand bed for drainage. When coax is run in water tight conduit, it will still be in a pool of water from natural condensation, hence the perforated conduit approach.

Keep in mind that you might have to pull a replacement length of coax in the future. Avoid sharp bends and hard pulls that can damage the coax inside.

I haven't done it myself, so I suggest a Google research focusing on ham antennas on towers.

If you have a preamp at the base of the tree, then the preamp voltage will come from the power inserter inside. It will be necessary to take into consideration the voltage drop for the preamp. RG6 with a solid copper center conductor will have a lower voltage drop than coax with a copper clad steel center conductor. Since the DC current for the preamp also flows through the shield, quad shield coax has a lower resistance than dual shield coax.

Before digging a trench, lay the coax on the ground for a test to see the results.

Last edited by rabbit73; 29-Sep-2017 at 1:02 AM.
rabbit73 is offline   Reply With Quote