View Single Post
Old 4-Aug-2017, 1:53 PM   #14
rickbb

That antenna is over 5 feet long and 3 feet wide. A J-pole screwed into the fascia board may not be sufficient under a high wind condition. Depends on what's behind the fascia, if it's a rafter beam might be ok, but I'm not a fan of the J pole mounts in general.

I'd go with an eave mount that has 2 brackets at least 2 vertical feet apart and screwed, (large lag bolts actually), into wall studs.

I'd use 10 feet of mast pole to get the antenna up at least 6 feet above your roof ridge. Signals can bounce off roofs creating multipath issues.

BUT, before you start drilling holes, either with a friend or a small TV get up on the roof with the antenna connected using a short piece of cable to the TV and walk around on the roof. Scan and rescan for the channels aiming the antenna in the direction you think will give you the best results.

You will look kind of silly and your neighbors will think you've gone nuts but you will be glad you did this before drilling holes in your house. As little as 5 feet left/right and up/down can mean good reliable reception or frustration with drop outs, pixilated distortion right in the middle of the best part of your show.
rickbb is offline   Reply With Quote