View Single Post
Old 18-Nov-2014, 2:42 AM   #12
Tekcor1

Quote:
Originally Posted by timgr View Post
4.1 and 4.2 are the same real channel 38, multiplexed into 38's allocated bandwidth. These decimal numbers are "virtual channels" which is what appear on your TV. The real channel is 38, 614 to 620 MHz. Each channel is 6 Mhz wide, and can contain multiple viewable channels (each a virtual channel), which are arbitrarily assigned numbers like 4.1, 4.2 etc.

Same for all the channels like 20.1, 20.2, etc.

The virtual channels tend to have the station number of the legacy analog TV channels, before the switch to digital.

This site may help you. Enter the callsign, like KOMO, and it will tell a lot about the station. http://transition.fcc.gov/fcc-bin/tvq?call=komo

So why KOMO and not KING? Because they are both on the edge of reception, and you were lucky with KOMO? They are both 2-edge stations, which means the signal has to be diffracted twice over the horizon in order to be received. Something between you and KOMO is more favorable than between you and KING. You could try moving the antenna around and see if that changes.
That was helpful, thanks. I was hoping there was something I was doing wrong preventing me from getting King. KOMO seems to come in easily no matter where I point the antenna in that General direction, and King doesn't. Once I did have 5.1 show up when I did the autotune, but the picture wouldn't come in. All the other times it wouldn't even find that station. So my next question is, if the channel shows up when I auto tune but the picture doesn't show up, would an amplifier help? Or do I need a picture for an amp to help? I am running directly from the antenna to a tv with no splitters. Thanks again to everyone for the help!
Tekcor1 is offline   Reply With Quote