View Single Post
Old 1-Mar-2014, 3:26 AM   #32
mulliganman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADTech View Post
No, it's just that I had lost track of what the now-current configuration might be.

A "standard" splitter, when installed "backwards" becomes a non-selective combiner. That's what's referred to as a "reversed splitter". The "problem" with using them this way is that signals from each antenna can mix together in there and can cancel each other out as well as contributing to additional signal loss.

The frequency selective combiner such as Tinlee's AC7 has been designed so that one of the inputs accepts all channels except one while the other input only passes the signals for a single channel while rejecting all the rest. The result is a very clean, low-loss combination or "merging" of a single channel's signal with the signals from a broad spectrum antenna without any phase cancellation.

The absolute value of the signal meter reading isn't really important as long as reception is reliable and is free from breakups.

Can you look at the device that is merging the two antennas and identify it?
I know it has been a while but would "phase cancellation" look like a channel from one antenna dropping from an extremely strong signal to no signal every so often? I have a station that is doing that to me know. But, I am not utilizing a reversed splitter or the AC7 combiner.
mulliganman is offline   Reply With Quote