View Single Post
Old 1-Nov-2011, 1:57 PM   #10
MisterMe

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldjake135 View Post
i have installed one , i think it works well , i live in Beaverton ont canada we are in the boon docks , i get all can stations pluse pbs bufflo and other american stations i also was told they are not any good.
The DigiWave ANT-7288 is constructed using two 4-bay antennas mounted side-by-side with each side independently adjustable. To say that it does not work would have been a gross overstatement. I am sure that it is no worse than any other 4-bay antenna, but no better than any other 8-bay antenna. Those who are unfamiliar with TV antennas may be impressed with its performance. By way of comparison, a ChannelMaster CM-4221HD 4-bay has average UHF gain of 10.2 dB. Its larger sibling, the ChannelMaster CM-4228HD 8-bay has average gain of 12.0 dB. The DigiWave claims a gain over Channels 21-69 of 20-36 dB. I can see only two possibilities for such dramatic gain figures for the DigiWave. One is that the laws of physics are different for DigiWave. The other is that they are simply adding the dB levels of the two 4-bay sections. Suffice it to say, you can't do that [correctly].

Even though DigiWave's gain claims are false, it probably still does a decent job of pulling in UHF channels. It is the Ginsu knife phenomenon. For those old enough to remember the Ginsu knife infomercials, the Ginsu miracle knives could cut though tin cans and then cut tissue-thin tomato slices. The secret of the Ginsu knife is that it was stainless steel. Any decent stainless steel kitchen knife could do what the Ginsu knife did.

In a like manner, any decent 8-bay antenna will be as good or better than the DigiWave ANT-7288.
MisterMe is offline   Reply With Quote