View Single Post
Old 19-Aug-2012, 3:16 PM   #1
alan

Help understanding my OTA reception (Macon/WR, Ga area)

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...99001c954883d8

Hey y'all my first post here.
My equipment: LG HDTV # 22LG30
Leaf indoor antenna (non amp model)

I recently replaced my $8 RCA rabbit ears antenna with the Leaf.
The rabbit ears were only able to get local Macon stations ( 13, 24 & 41) sometimes. All stations would come and go with 13 being the most stable of the bunch. Of course I positioned the antenna in different directions and found the strongest signal on the TV's strength meter. I could not receive any PBS stations that were watchable, even repositioning the antenna.

Put the Leaf on and tried it in several positions and finally settled on mounting it on the wall, flat side east/west about a foot above the TV, ( which is wall mounted also). Now getting many more stations with varying results.
Here's what I'm getting from best to worst:

3.1&2, 13.1&3, 28.1,2.&3, 29.1,2&3, 45.1&2. These come in 98+ % of the time with 3.1&2 being the best. Day or night about the same

38.1&2, 41.1&2 come in about 85-95% with 38 being best. Day or night about the same.

24.1&2, 58.1,2&3 are 50% at best. It seems like afternoon is best. After dark they they are pretty much gone. I wish I could get the 58 stations, it is a bummer I can't get these local stations any better.

<50% includes 2.1&2, 5.1, 47.3, 54.1&2. Seems like afternoon and early evening are best times with 54 being the strongest by far.

My location is rural, on top of a hill (one of the highest elevation in this area, appx. 588'), surrounded by 50'+ oaks, hickorys and a few pines.

Can you help me understand the reception I'm getting on my local stations and why the Columbus (3.1&2) is best? I would think that 24&58 would come in better but no matter what position the antenna is they won't.

Also thinking about putting up a DB-8 outside in the future.
Thanks for any help and recommendations you can provide.
alan is offline   Reply With Quote