View Single Post
Old 25-May-2020, 6:26 PM   #1
bobsgarage
Antenna Enthusiast

1/4 Wave Matching Sections and Combining Antennas

Well, so far it's not a success story. Far from it I'd say. I have been reading all along the best way to combine antennas is simply not using a combiner /splitter. From what I understand, you're lucky to get anything out of combining the two antennas if you use a splitter to combine them. Well, to me that's just stupid.

So as far as I understand, the most common now it's things are in order to combine 2 antennas for gain, you must have several important features present.

#1. Both antennas must be exactly the same, from the same manufacturer, part number. Essentially the same production.

#2. Most coax cables must be the exact same length, the same kind for example : RG6 dual shield Etc... and should be the same manufacturer and part number. Might as well take it off the same spool.

#3. Both antennas must be mounted at the same height but can be stacked over each other with the proper distance or side by side, where the separation isn't a big deal.

#4. Both antennas need to be aimed at exactly the same target in order to make the gain.

#5. There's no point combining antennas for gain if you are going to have a lot of loss in the system. Combiners/splitters eat signal. So, this is where the quarter wave 50 ohm "matching" (stub) section comes in handy.

So here's my saga. Get a beer, some popcorn relax and read on.

So I did my research, talked to a few people on some other forums and found out that either RG 8 or RG58 can be used to create these matching sections. As longs as it's 50 ohm. A friend of mine who I met on this forum just happened to have a roll of foam filled RG8. StereoCraig has donated several lengths that I thought I would never need. Honestly for my new arrays, one VHF pair and one UHF pair I figured that would be enough. However it didn't turn out that way.

I had first read that quarter wave matching section for UHF made from RG 8 should be 10 inches. Including connectors. Okay. No problem, I butchered a combiner, got the cover off tore all the guts out and ran my two equal antenna leads into the sides stripped the RG 8 and somehow got it to slip into a RG 11 coax connector. (I drilled it). I then used some solder to join the three together inside the combiner. It was my first time so it took me sometime, but it seemingly turned out fine.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200416_230719_copy_1024x768_copy_768x576.jpg (72.6 KB, 2832 views)

Last edited by bobsgarage; 26-May-2020 at 7:12 PM.
bobsgarage is offline   Reply With Quote