View Single Post
Old 23-Oct-2014, 10:36 PM   #10
devidog

Quote:
Originally Posted by timgr View Post
Yeah, that's how I'd do it. The wavelength at VHF is long, thus the long antenna for sensitivity... You could try the Y5713, but it's 6.9 dB gain vs. 9.4 for the Y10713. The RCA preamp is certainly priced right, and recommended a lot here. The alternative to a preamp is a UVSJ - http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp?p=uvsj - I would just try each antenna cable directly into the TV first, to see what signal levels I had with no other devices in the path.
Sounds like good advise. I live in St Louis and will probably go down this weekend and set up the mast. I have about 40' of 1 1/2" and 20' of 1 1/4" pipe with a reducing bushing. When I had it up years ago I had brackets on a cedar tree outside the trailer and 3 sections of pipe. I cut the top of the tree off below the bottom of the antenna. Hopefully I'll get a few more people jump in with opinions and set the game plan on pre-amp and vhf choices. Hell, I might get all this stuff in the air and still not work. I can't believe how "finicky" this stuff is. I can rebuild a compressor, wire a 460 electric panel or build a race engine but can't figure out a stupid tv antenna.
devidog is offline   Reply With Quote