View Single Post
Old 6-Sep-2013, 3:24 PM   #1
Matkinson

Antenna newb having issues in Mpls

Trying very hard to get OTA in the southern Mpls metro (55372) so I can kiss direct tv goodbye.

Equipment is Winegard HD8200U antenna, and a Winegard Chromstar 2000 preamp.

Test 1 with roof mount (approx 25' high) was disappointing with very weak signals, however after removing the antenna from the roof, a closer inspection of the 8200 revealed I had the UHF hard lines installed incorrectly (touching the mast).

Test 2 was a "ground test" on my deck (approx 8' high) after fixing the UHF issue. Even without the preamp enabled, the signals were dramatically better, unfortunately I was not getting any signal on either 4-1 or 5-1, which are two of our 4 major channels here (4-1, 5-1, 9-1 and 11-1) signal strength on 11-1 was over 70%, the rest were all on average 40-50%. Encouraged, I decided to try it again with the preamp...overall "better" results as a channel re-scan brought in several additional channels...on the downside I still had no signal on 4-1 or 5-1, and actually lost signal on 9-1.

I intend to make one final roof attempt before I admit defeat, any input or suggestions from experienced antenna folks would be greatly appreciated.
Perhaps a different style of preamp might help?

Here's my TVFool info: http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...46ae0e59ee36ed

Thanks
Matkinson is offline   Reply With Quote