View Single Post
Old 17-Oct-2017, 5:22 PM   #98
jrgagne99

Since it's been pretty quite on the forum lately, I guess I'll report on the two amplification configurations I have tried recently.

Configuration #1: Amplify UHF-only upstream of UVSJ, by utilizing the UHF-power-pass capability of the Antennas Direct UVSJ (VHF stays unamplified)
Configuration #2: Amplify UHF+VHF downstream of Antennas Direct UVSJ

Configuration #1 gave me about a 1 dB stronger signal on WFFF (my weakest UHF station). But it came at the cost of about 7 dB on the VHF channel WVNY, which I had to leave unamplified for that configuration. Even though WVNY shows an SNR of 21 dB at the TV for configuration #1 (15 dB required for reception), I decided to use configuration #2 for now. Either one seems equivalent in terms of reception, and both provide about 6 dB more than the minimum needed for reliable reception of the weakest channel...

Current overall setup:
Antennas: DB8e and MCM-30-2476 at about 55-ft AGL in a pine tree. The DB8e uses 50-ft of RG-11 to base of tree, the MCM-30-2476 uses 50-ft of RG-6. Signals combined at base of tree using Antennas Direct UVSJ, then Kitztech KT-200 preamp, then 150-feet of direct-burial-grade RG-6 to house (in underground conduit, belt+suspenders), then KT power inserter, then 30-ft of RG-6 to TV.

My current actual reception report:
WVNY, Real 13, (TVFool NM=6.6 dB): SNR at TV= 29 dB
WPTZ, Real 14, (TVFool NM=9.2 dB): SNR at TV= 29 dB
WCAX, Real 22, (TVFool NM=8.2 dB): SNR at TV= 29 dB
WETK, Real 32, (TVFool NM=-2.2 dB): SNR at TV= 26 dB
WFFF, Real 43, (TVFool NM=-5.8 dB): SNR at TV= 22 dB

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know if there is a UVSJ that passes power on both ports? If so, does anyone know of a pre-amp system that can power two pre-amps using just one power inserter?

Last edited by jrgagne99; 17-Oct-2017 at 5:48 PM.
jrgagne99 is offline   Reply With Quote