View Single Post
Old 22-Apr-2012, 7:36 AM   #17
ghz24

First let me say it would have to be a very special post to incite me to suggest this antenna.

Quote:
Originally Posted by signals unlimited View Post
Why in the world would anyone go to all of the trouble to build any antenna
Why in the world would anyone buy an antenna when they can build their own?

Quote:
So anyone that is focused on antenna gain or chooses an antenna based on the manufactures claims of distance, listen up.
All the enthusiasts here I'm sure know distance claims are a joke and not to be trusted.
Besides SWR what other performance specs do you think we should consider more than gain? Not amplifier gain but antenna directivity gain.
Quote:
The world is not flat! All UHF signals fall into the "sky wave" catagory. This sets up a "radio horizon" about 80 miles out. On a clear site void of interferrence any good antenna with a gain around 9 dbi. will receive these stations.
9 dBi really? That only holds true if you live walking distance to walgreens world where they sell spherical chickens in vacuum packed canisters.
Cause where my antenna is is far from clear and there is nothing I can do to improve the site so I improve the antenna.
Personally I don't think there is an antenna with less than 12 dBi that can reliably receive a station I have 3 miles away. (Multipath nightmare) Higher gain is more undesirable signal rejection.
If I had the space I'd build one of these in a heart beat just to play.
ghz24 is offline   Reply With Quote