View Single Post
Old 23-Feb-2018, 8:42 PM   #5
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

It is useful to note that your current antenna is a UHF-only design. It performs poorly on high-VHF once incoming signals start to get a bit weaker and it's almost useless on low-VHF unless you're very close to the tower (as you happen to be).

You are likely going to need to work a lot harder to receive the CBS and Fox stations as they both have several difficulty factors associated with them: They're among the furthest away, they are on VERY short towers, and they only send a relatively small amount of power in your direction. There will be no margin for any shortcuts if you want your best odds of getting them in. That means you need to put the antenna where it has the very best chance of being successful.

Use the interactive map tool and turn on the lines to transmitters. Using the satellite view, you can zoom in and see the required direction to aim the antenna as viewed from overhead. Much more useful than messing with a compass (which has a terrible amount of declination in your are)!

All that said, my recommendation for the best chances of success the first time around would be to go with a 91XG supplemented with our simple VHF-1 module (if needed) and a preamp like our Juice. Focus reception on the two problem stations, the rest of the UHF stations should easily get dragged along for the ride. Chances are, the VHF module won't be needed.

Of note is KYES which is currently transmitting on low-VHF 5. Last fall, they applied for and received authorization to abandon channel 5 and move their signal to high-VHF channel 7. I have no idea when they will make the change except that they probably won't do it in winter weather.

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.

Last edited by ADTech; 24-Feb-2018 at 12:37 AM.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote