View Single Post
Old 16-Feb-2015, 4:01 AM   #1
eden

Unhappy Antennas Direct C2 outperforms DB8e. Alternatives?

I live in central North Carolina, very near the Virginia border. Here is my signal analysis for my location and antenna height: http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...2c1573a1a67363

I moved here in October and originally had my Antennas Direct Clearstream C2 (UHF only version) indoors. The results were much, much better than that analysis led me to believe. Depending on how I turned the antenna...

I could consistently receive (real) channels: 14, 19, 51, 29, 33, 31 and 17
I could intermittently receive channels: 35, 18 and 30

My main complaint was that there is no PBS. My solution was to put the antenna up on the roof, of course, with roughly a 115 ft. total coax length in my system and a PA-18 preamplifier. I knew I'd lose the Roanoke, VA stations since I wouldn't be able to turn the antenna easily, which was fine. I live on the side of a pretty good hill. I found a sweet spot pointing roughly southwest where I could receive almost all the full power stations between 170 degrees (magnetic) and 263 degrees (magnetic), a much wider arc than I expected from the antenna.

I can consistently receive channels 14, 19, 51, 29, 33, 31 and 43
I can receive channel 32 solidly about 90% of the time (1-3 bars)
I can receive channel 35 about 70% of the time despite usually only having 1 bar of signal strength

I was thinking about the DB8e so, as an experiment, I turned the C2 to 345 degrees with these results:

I could receive channels 18 and 17
I could receive channels 14, 19, 29, 33, 31 and 47 off the back of the antenna
I could receive channel 51, but with a weak signal, off the back of the antenna
I could receive channel 30, but with a weak signal

My thought (which was wrong) was that a DB8e would receive what the C2 could receive, but from two directions. The gain figures advertised by Antennas Direct were slightly better. My goal was to solidify reception on channel 32 (PBS) and hopefully channel 35. I really wasn't looking for more channels. Should work, right? Nope, not hardly.

I originally pointed the DB8e panels at my sweet spot and at 345 degrees. I lost channels 31, 32, 35, 43, 47 and 18 entirely. Channel 30 was suddenly strong. Channel 17 was weak. I find this really odd because 31 and 17 were five bars with the antenna indoors. (Yes, I know where channel 17 is on my signal analysis. That analysis is just plain wrong on that station.) I tried adjusting the panels incrementally and really didn't get any improvement. I could only make things worse, like losing channel 51.

I decided to give up on Roanoke, point one panel right at Pinnacle (263 degrees magenetic) and another an Bunn Level/Randleman (193 degrees magnetic). If I could get solid signals on 31, 32 (Pinnacle) and the Greensboro stations I'd be happy. Well, absolutely nothing I tried gave me any signal from the Pinnacle tower, just 32 miles away. I gave up.

I took down the DB8e, put back the C2 where it had been, and everything was back to where I started: 10 stations, 30 channels. Same coax, same preamp, and the C2 seriously outperforms the DB8e.

Before I box the thing up and send it back, does anyone have any suggestions? Also, what alternatives do I have to improve the signal strength on channels 32 and 35? I thought about the C4 but I doubt it would reproduce the 93 degrees of arc I'm getting on the C2, which would mean losing channels, most likely channel 35. There is only one way to point the antenna and get 32 and 35 at the same time. I fear they'd be too far apart (69 degrees) with the C4. Both are weak signals here.

Last crazy question: given how well I've done with the C2 compared to that signal analysis, is there any chance a C5 at 30 feet will pull in channel 13? I'm a big fan of classic Doctor Who, and channel 13-3 is the closest Retro TV affiliate.

Thanks in advance for thoughts and suggestions.

Last edited by eden; 16-Feb-2015 at 4:05 AM.
eden is offline   Reply With Quote