View Single Post
Old 23-Aug-2010, 8:17 PM   #2
mtownsend

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockstar45 View Post
On a good day my signal meter on my TiVo HD reports 60-70 for my VHF channels (NBC, FOX), but when it rains or is very cloudy it drops in and out from 0-30. My Albany UHF stations (ABC, PBS, CW) are completely unaffected with signal strengths around 90-100.
Actually, NBC and Fox are not broadcasting on VHF channels. They are on channels 46 and and 19, respectively. The get mapped to channels 6.x and 11.x on your TV through the magic of virtual channel numbers (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_channel), but the signal is really being sent on channels 46 and 19.

WSWP (PBS) and WVNS (CBS) are the only real VHF broadcasts in your area ("real" channels 10 and 8).

It looks like your attic-installed UHF antenna is the one being affected by wet weather. You are probably not having any problems with your VHF antenna.

It's not necessarily the water in the air that is changing your signal readings. It might be caused by water on your roof or on other objects in your signal path (e.g., wet leaves on trees, neighboring buildings, etc.) that are causing the signals to bounce around differently. If the multipath (multiple reflected signals being picked up by your antenna) is getting worse, it can make life difficult for your receiver. Your receiver's signal meter is reporting a "quality" estimate (it's not a "strength" estimate), so the numbers will go down when the multipath gets worse.

If your VHF antenna is on the roof, can you put the UHF antenna up there too? Getting the antenna up on the roof is a great way to reduce multipath and clean up the signal.
mtownsend is offline   Reply With Quote