View Single Post
Old 17-Sep-2017, 4:52 PM   #7
dongna

Wow, I can't thank you enough for the attention you've given to my little problem. (Your PM's have the correct house). I've attached a picture from the roof standing right over the antenna position pointing towards the signal source.

I went up in the attic this morning and double checked the aim on the antenna-- it might have been a few degrees off optimal, so I tweaked that a little. Didn't seem to make any significant difference-- WTTW was still heavily pixelated.

I'm still bothered by the fact that WTTW used to come in just fine. In fact, just last night I watched a Frontline that I had DVR'd about a year ago, and I watched 2 hours with not one glitch. So while I certainly don't want to discount that this is a tree issue, given the maturity of the trees in question I'm suspicious that there's not something else at issue here.

You're right, it would be difficult to relocate the antenna in the attic because of it's size. Especially moving it south would be impossible because there's a chimney that runs through the attic in that area. The only option would be to move it south and west, but I rejected that location originally because it would then be behind the chimney (at least partially).

What about trying to raise the antenna up or down 5-6 inches? I read somewhere else that this might help, and that would seem to be supported by the link you provided earlier that describes the "layering problem".

Any opinion on whether moving the antenna up to the roof would help? I would still be well below the trees you pointed out. I guess I don't know how much signal there is to be gained by it not having to pass through the roof of the house and being just a little bit higher.

I would also be open to a different antenna if it would allow more flexible positioning, whether in the attic or on the roof. Especially a smaller one might not be objectionable to my wife if mounted on the roof. But I would have to start that whole research cycle again.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg trees.jpg (145.4 KB, 604 views)
dongna is offline   Reply With Quote