View Single Post
Old 2-Mar-2013, 8:39 PM   #8
Dagwood

Thanks for the ideas, but I have some questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GroundUrMast View Post
The symptoms point toward water in the coax or balun, a loose or corroded connector, a broadband RF noise source or multipath.
I've never heard of a "balun" so I Wikied it but the definition isn't helping me. Is it the part of the booster that is attached to the antenna?

And I don't really know what you mean by a "broadband RF noise" or "multipath."

Quote:
Inspect the connectors, substitute a known good coax (you don't have to fully install it to test). If you still have the same symptoms, you may find yourself looking for electrical devises that are causing RFI... isolate by turning off items one at a time.

Any new construction recently?
"No" on the construction. As far as noises, I have noticed the radio buzzing once in a while on AM. It never occurred to me that it might have anything to do with my TV signal (I'm just a dumb toolmaker). I'm racking my brain trying to figure out what it might be, there's no new electrical stuff in my house.

Would it have to be something in my house or could it be an outside source? I live on a dirt road out in the country, the nearest house to me is probably 1200 or so feet away.
Dagwood is offline   Reply With Quote