View Single Post
Old 29-Mar-2017, 2:12 AM   #5
blu

Since you brought up grounding... let me ask you a related question that I've never been able to find a good answer for. Your picture, and pretty much every other one I've seen, shows the electrical service conveniently situated on the same side of the house as the antenna. This makes it super easy to ground.

But what if the antenna is on the complete opposite side of the house as the service? That is what we have in our current home right now. When I installed our antenna, I didn't think it was realistic to run a ground wire all the way around the house, so I ended up installing a grounding rod near the antenna and grounding (both the antenna and the shield) to that. I don't think that's NEC code compliant, though. I have a copy of the code and thought I remember reading that it must be grounded to the actual service box. (Too bad my copy is at work so I can't look it up right now.)

What do you normally recommend for things like this? Ground with a grounding rod, or carry a ground wire a far distance to ground at the service? The grounding rod makes the most logical sense to me (less chance for ground potential rise because it's a shorter run), even though it may not be code compliant.

I will definitely come back here and let you know how it works out - although it will probably be about a year! (Apparently building houses from scratch takes a lot longer than I thought!)
blu is offline   Reply With Quote