View Single Post
Old 17-Jul-2011, 7:11 AM   #32
GroundUrMast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaguy View Post
Thanks No Static at all and GroundUrMast

How weak a powered signal can say a combo antenna like an RS VU-160XR be able to pick up without a preamp? Right now, I'm having difficulty with stations below -41 to -45dB. I'm running about 50' of coax to the grounding block outside, another 10' to the 2-way splitter inside, then 15' to the basement TV, and about 25' to the upstairs one. Total: 100'

Can the 300 Ohm to 75 Ohm balun on the antenna go bad over time? It's the stock one that came with the Antennacraft antenna. Age: 20 years.

I'm trying to sleuth my way through it all.
A good quality receiver should be seeing signals at predicted levels in the -60 dBm range (and even lower).

Coax and balun left in the weather for 20 years are ready for some R&R. Yes, they can go bad.

A 4-bay panel antenna (such as the 4221) will have moderate gain and directivity. More gain than you need, and I expect, more than enough directivity (unless you have neighbors who have proven the presence of difficult multi-path interference.

An XG-91 is most often used when dealing with weak (-70 dBm down to -90 or so). The XG-91 is occasionally needed when there is a problem with multi-path, adjacent or co-channel interference. I see none of these in your situation.

All that said, you can hope for an aim point that receives all channels simultaneously but don't bet on it. If your rotator works, you should have no trouble seeing real channels 19, 24 and 35 from Mt. Constitution (Orcas Island, WA) when the antenna faces that direction.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')

Last edited by GroundUrMast; 17-Jul-2011 at 7:35 AM.
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote