View Single Post
Old 29-Jun-2015, 11:08 PM   #2
rabbit73
Retired A/V Tech

Welcome to the forum, nkirkley:

It looks like a lot of people have viewed your thread, but no replies. You are lucky to have so many good signals, but I understand your desire to have a few more. What you want is not going to be easy, but I'll give you my analysis for what it's worth over a few posts as I think it through.

I will try to identify the problems that you will face, some of which you are already aware of.

It's good that you have the older DB8. The older bowtie antennas used a ferrite core balun which is good for VHF and UHF, so you shouldn't have any trouble receiving WTVI on real channel 11. The newer bowtie antennas use a printed circuit board balun that doesn't pass VHF very well.

Quote:
I want as much as I can pull in, especially WXII, WSPA, WIS, and possibly a few others from far away.
The way you have listed them is by increasing difficulty.

WXII, NBC, real channel 31, NM 11.6 dB, 2Edge path, 79.3 mi, 19 degrees magnetic; this is your best one of the three. You might be able to get it with what you have, but the curvature of the earth starts to interfere with signals at about 70 miles. You can see the transmitter terrain profile by clicking on a callsign in your tvfool report. The transmitter is at the left end, your location at the right.

WSPA, CBS, real channel 7, NM -3.3 dB, 2Edge path, 93.4 mi, 275 degrees magnetic; this will be more difficult not only because of the curvature of the earth, but because of the pine trees that are taller than your antenna, unless you can aim between them.

You need a VHF-High antenna for WSPA, but they are now in short supply. You would have to settle for a VHF/UHF combo like the Winegard HD7697/7698P, a DIY antenna, or something like the Ability Fracarro BLV6F VHF-HI (CH7-13) High Gain Wideband YAGI Antenna.
http://www.abilityhdtv.com/product-i...nna-pid65.html

WIS, NBC, real channel 10, NM -12.1 dB, Tropo path, 77.5 mi, 192 degrees magnetic; not much hope for this one. Tropo signals are unreliable, and WIS has adjacent channel interference from WTVI on real channel 11 that is 72.1 dB stronger.

ATSC Recommended Practice:
Receiver Performance Guidelines

Document A/74:2010, 7 April 2010

RECEIVER PERFORMANCE GUIDELINES

5.4.2 Adjacent Channel Rejection

Quote:
The receiver should meet or exceed the thresholds given in Table 5.2 for rejection of first adjacent-channel interference at the desired signal levels shown above the columns therein.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AdjacentChannelThresholds.jpg (59.0 KB, 1183 views)

Last edited by rabbit73; 30-Jun-2015 at 12:12 AM.
rabbit73 is offline   Reply With Quote