View Single Post
Old 18-Sep-2014, 10:25 PM   #4
Vorkosigan

I made up a new antenna based on a link that rabbit posted on AVS. (The 10" x 9 1/2")
http://m4antenna.eastmasonvilleweath...0Drawings.html

I put the antenna outside aimed in the same direction as the antenna in the attic, about 300°.

I hooked it up directly to the HDHR4 and checked KFXA. The Signal Strength showed around 50%, sometimes a bit less. Signal Quality was about the same as it is with the attic antenna, but it doesn't seem to move around as much. The Symbol Quality was staying steady at 100%. Seems to be a much more stable signal. However, it's hard to say because the signal seems to be more stable with the attic antenna as well.

I then connected the new antenna directly to the Hauppauge. The SNR shows between 17 and 28. I have not noticed any of the random dropouts. When connected to the attic antenna just before I switched the feed, there were some long dropouts happening.

I checked the other UHF channels and KGAN and KRIN seem to come in ok, but KWKB and KPXR seem to be having problems. I have not tried adding an amp into the equation yet, though.

It would be nice if I could just switch this antenna with the one in the attic, but I don't think this antenna will fit up there.
Vorkosigan is offline   Reply With Quote