View Single Post
Old 16-Sep-2014, 6:19 PM   #1
Vorkosigan

1 Problem Channel

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...d2432b80bb6aba

I have 2 antennas mounted in the attic. Typical plywood and shingle roof. An old VHF antenna that was there when I moved in and a simple homemade UHF antenna. The VHF can't be aimed because of it's size and the construction of the attic, but that's ok because it works great. The UHF might have a little play in the direction it's aimed, but not much at all. I would say that it's currently aimed at 300°.

There are trees to the SE in my yard, but hardly any trees towards where the antennas are aimed. Quite a few houses down. I am sort of at the bottom of a hill and the hill is on the SW side of the house.

I'm using a UVSJ to combine their signals. From there I am running quad shield RG6 about 30 feet where it splits off to feed the other locations in the house. The longest run from there is no longer than around 50 feet.

I am using the following amp for distribution.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001EKCGT8/

I am feeding 2 tv's, a Hauppauge 2250 tuner card, and a SiliconDust HDHR4.

The two tv's don't seem to be having any problems. Maybe a bit of pixellation on a couple of channels now and then, but not bad at all.

My problem is that both the 2250 and the HDHR4 are having problems with KFXA. Sometimes it comes in good with some minor pixellation. Other times the signal seems to drop out for a few seconds. Other times it just won't come in at all.

The software fort he 2250 shows a small SNR meter that goes up to 30. With the distribution amp, most channels are at 30 or close to it. KFXA is usually less than that and will drop down to about 23 and then at times it will drop to 0.

The software for the HDHR4 shows Signal Strength, Signal Quality, and Symbol Quality. On most channels Signal Strength shows around 98-100%. Signal Quality is usually around the same with a couple of channels showing between 70 and 80%. Symbol Quality shows 100% most of the time, but does show a drop that coincides with pixellation.

KFXA on the HDHR4 shows a Signal Strength of around 84%. The Signal Quality is usually around 65-80%. Symbol Quality fluxuates a great deal.

I made up another homemade antenna that I could take outside to see if that would make a difference. The signal seemed slightly improved, but the dropouts were still happening. I tried aiming it many different directions.

I am at a loss for what I should try next.
Vorkosigan is offline   Reply With Quote