View Single Post
Old 28-Mar-2010, 2:48 AM   #7
Tigerbangs
TV Reception Maven

Send a message via AIM to Tigerbangs Send a message via Yahoo to Tigerbangs
I believe that you'll have no issues with KC using the 4221 it should be just fine; my only concern for you is having multiple screen-type antenna on the same mast, since they are wind-catchers, but it sounds as if you are willing to mount antennas on 2 separate masts, so you can probably engineer an antenna system that won't be too windblown.

As for the ResearchComm preamp, my information is third party and anecdotal, but I have read that 2 different posters in forums that I read have had the UK preamp, and have had failures. Both has mentioned having warranty service issues, since the company is in the UK, and has no US representation., they have complained about the cost and delay in getting replacement preamps. My understanding of the preamp is that it is great when it works, but even the company's website touts a "2% failure rate" in the preamps, which, in my mind, is unacceptable for a modern electronics company. It spells trouble for a Yank who has issues with it and can't get an easy or quick replacement without paying half the cost of the product in shipping and customs fees.

If there were no good preamplifiers available here in the US, I might think differently, but my inclination is to go with a good Channel Master or a Winegard preamp, and know that, if you have a failure, that you can get a quick and easy replacement. IMHO.
Tigerbangs is offline   Reply With Quote