View Single Post
Old 27-Jan-2015, 3:52 AM   #4
PhilS

Quote:
Originally Posted by GroundUrMast View Post
Bear in mind that a TVFool reception report is an estimate, because it does not have access to a perfect terrain profile and no knowledge of buildings or vegetation.

I'd try testing reception outdoors, either by moving the existing antenna or by using another. Attics vary a great deal, some are satisfactory reception locations... Others pose insurmountable reception challenges.

Different frequencies are affected by reflective surfaces and other obstacles in the propagation path. Even though the signals originate from a nearly common location, you can not presume they will all encounter equal path impairments.
Thanks for the quick reply! I will try to give it a shot with another antenna outside if I can figure out an easy way to do so... (And when there's no blizzard at hand!)

To further complicate matters... I left out one bizzare detail: A few weeks ago, on an average Saturday afternoon, the channel suddenly came in perfectly. It was after I'd tweaked the aim of the antenna, and I though "Ah ha!" I figured it out! It worked perfectly - showed strong reception #s for the channel for a few hours, and that was that.

And that evening when I tried to show my handiwork to the wife it was gone. I had not touched a single thing - it just vanished. I climbed back up and checked the antenna, and it was precisely as I'd left it. The weather was the same - clear and dry - just no signal whatsoever.

I guess I just chalk it up to a feisty attic gremlin?

There is a chance that I could reasonably move the antenna across the attic and have it just pointing out the gable-end of the house, rather than the roof. Perhaps that would help? (Though it would be very, very near the electric drop - would that mess up signals?)
PhilS is offline   Reply With Quote