View Single Post
Old 24-Oct-2015, 6:36 PM   #20
Maury Markowitz

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit73 View Post
On that page Ken Nist KQ6QV is talking about "How to combine antennas that point in different directions" but starts his explanation with a splitter and then makes a conclusion about a splitter in reverse used as a combiner. He then states there is a loss of 3 dB.

I found it difficult to make that leap to the conclusion that he did because when the two antennas are aimed in different directions, the same signals from each antenna arrive at the combining point with results that vary because of differences in amplitude and phase.
Right, and I guess that's why there's the whole "antenna trick" page on his site.

I'm sort of getting some of this, but I'm still a little lost about most of it.

For instance, my dad's old VHF/UHF was clearly two different antennas sharing a common structure, one in front of the other. There was only one wire coming out of it, so they had to combine them somehow.

And right now I can look out the window at my neighbour's eight-bay and clear see that it is literally nothing more than two four-bays put side to side. I can even see the separate wires running into the "combiner" in the middle.

So clearly this is not only possible but common.

I do get that having them point in different directions is a whole other can of worms, but I'm not even sure I understand the most basic parts.
Maury Markowitz is offline   Reply With Quote