View Single Post
Old 22-Oct-2015, 12:20 PM   #1
NthrnNYker

Mast Mounting help ?

Well, I am about to install the giant HD8200 antenna (as per the expert recommendations of rabbit73. ADTech, and Tower Guy) at the gable end of my house, and in attempting to plan the mounting procedure -- I find I'm a bit out of my depth, believe it or not

What I have to work with --

10' x 1 1/4" tower mast (to be cut in two pieces)
2x twelve inch wall mast mounting stand-offs.

and finally, the antennacraft rotator system

Firstly -- given the enormous size of this antenna -- will guide wires be a necessity ? ( I don't really want to poke holes through the shingles if I can avoid it -- but will if the experts feel I must ) I am not in a particularly high-wind area -- but the occasional thunderstorm in the summer might generate winds of 30-40 MPH. That said, I feel the antenna needs to be mounted at least 5 feet above the roof-line given the occasional snow accumulations upon the roof during winter storms up here in the wilds of Northern NY of 2-3 feet...accumulations that, given the brutal cold of the Northern NY winters -- will sometimes last through to spring.

Second -- how far apart vertically should the two wall mount brackets be mounted to the wall in order to provide the most stable platform for the antenna ? (if necessary, I can get another piece of mast pipe for the section above the rotor)

Third -- mounting the rotator -- given the enormous size of this antenna and the height above the roof-line --- will the installation of a thrust bearing along with the rotor be a necessity ? (although, from all my research -- these thrust bearings are exceedingly difficult to find nowadays) -- should I leave a section of the bottom pipe above the rotor for future installation of this thrust bearing when and if I can find one ?

And finally -- and I know this sounds inane --- should the pre-amp be mounted above or below the antenna rotor ?

Thanks in advance -- once again -- for all of your help.

Karl
NthrnNYker is offline   Reply With Quote