Old 24-Jun-2015, 6:50 PM   #18
rabbit73
Retired A/V Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkSB View Post
Also, here is the preamp that I'm using with the SBGH:

http://www.acehardware.com/product/i...a=pla_16505290

My cable run is about 50 ft.
Thank you for the new more accurate report and the equipment details.

If you just focus on Baltimore you can use your SBGH for the UHF channels and add an antenna for your VHF channels, using the separate VHF and UHF inputs on your RCA TVPRAMP1R. You need to be aware that the RCA preamp has a history of problems with the combined/separate switch. Sometimes it doesn't make good contact with the VHF antenna in the separate position. The workaround is to put the switch in the combined position and use a UVSJ.

Unfortunately, the supply of separate VHF-Hi antennas is much smaller now. You can use a VHF/UHF combo antenna for Baltimore, but that type of antenna might be too long for your location and would stick out too far from the deck. I'm thinking of the Winegard HD7697P or 7698P.

If you need antennas that are flatter, use your SBGH for UHF and an Antennas Direct C5 for VHF, which comes with a diplexer.

If you are into DIY antennas, you could build a 2-bay bowtie antenna with reflector for VHF. It would be big, but it wouldn't stick out like a combo.

Quote:
I'm wondering if I can add a second (Omni-directional) antenna which I have, to pick up the stations to the Northeast (mainly Fox, channel 47),
What antenna is your Omni?

If you also want the channels from the NNW, I suggest a separate antenna with an A/B switch to select which antenna you want. Your TV should be able to add a channel after scan, or you will need to rescan after every change. An alternative would be a separate tuner for the second antenna, with its output going to the A/V or HDMI input of the TV.

You have some strong local FM signals that might cause interference to TV reception. The FM filter in the preamp should take care of it. If not, you can add an FM filter. See attachment.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MarkSBtvf FM est.JPG (109.3 KB, 891 views)

Last edited by rabbit73; 24-Jun-2015 at 7:34 PM.
rabbit73 is offline   Reply With Quote