View Single Post
Old 9-Jan-2016, 4:13 PM   #1
tomfoolery

Pre-amp makes things worse

First, the report: http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...51341a24f41621

Second, the satellite view of the main stations:

I'm using a DB4e combined with a telescopic dipole from a portable TV (shortened to approx. real 10 and 13 length), mounted in the attic, looking through the roof (see photo). They're combined with a UVSJ. Single 100 ft run of new RG-6, with connection to a single Panasonic plasma set through a wall plate. No other connections (not even a ground block, which I should correct).

I get all the main stations at 100% or very close to it (the first 8 channels), except that ION (WPXJ real 23) is usually solid, but often unwatchable.

But recently I started getting WKBW on real 38, which is out of Buffalo, with a NM figure of only 9.9! I only get it about half the time, since the leaves are off the trees I suppose, and usually more reliably at night. I don't care about the ABC affiliate, but it also carries Laff and Escape, which I'd like to continue getting, but more reliably.

I tried using an RCA TVPRAMP1R, with separate UHF and VHF inputs (switch correctly set) and the FM trap engaged, but it made everything worse, including my strong local channels. Unplugging the wall wart made it worse still, so presumably the amp is doing something.

I know, I know, I should put the antenna outdoors, but where it is now has a clear shot to my local stations (perspective of the map makes it look like it's through the neighbor's house, but it's not), though WPXJ 23 and WKBW 38 are through the maple (but not through the line of spruces), and I don't want to put it on the roof. I'd like nothing better than to put a DB8e and h-vhf antenna on the chimney, but that's just not going to happen. And we're not staying here much longer, so there's that, too.

I just thought there was a chance an amp would help overcome 100 ft of coax and possibly improve reliability a little, but I suppose it could be putting more noise on the line than it improves signal strength. Or it's just defective, which seems to be more common with this model than I realized.

So I guess the big question is, is it worth it to try another amp for twice the price, or am I just wasting my time?
tomfoolery is offline   Reply With Quote