Thread: Just the basics
View Single Post
Old 20-Dec-2018, 2:30 PM   #2
jrgagne99

This is a tough one. The Bakersfield signals (NBC and FOX in particular) are very weak at your location. You'll need to be as high as you can and be well clear of all trees to even have a chance at those weaker ones. You probably need to be willing to experiment a bit, ans success is by no means guaranteed. That said, I see three options, listed below in terms of odds of success of pulling in all 4 major networks for you:

To have your best chance at receiving all 4 from Bakersfield, I recommend an 8-bay such as the DB8e or HDB8X aimed SSE at 160-degrees true. This is for the UHF stations (CBS on RF-33, NBC on RF-25, and FOX on RF-29 (KBFX)). For ABC, which is on VHF (RF-10), you will need a Stellar Labs 30-2476 or possibly get away with its little brother, the 30-2475. You'll want to combine your UHF and VHF feeds into one downlead. I suggest a mast-mounted preamp such as the RCA TVPRAMP1Z/R which will both combine and amplify.

Another option would be to try a Winegard 7698P. It has very good UHF and VHF gains, though in my experience the UHF is not quite as good as an 8-bay, which is why i suggested the 8-bay first because your signals are so weak. The 7698P has the advantage of being a single antenna (albeit a "big" one) with both UHF and VHF instead of using two separate rigs. The mast-mounted pre-amp recommendation is still valid.

Yet another option would be a Clearstream 4 Max aimed north at 9-degrees. This has a chance of pulling in FOX (KMPH, RF-28 from Visalia, not Bakersfield) on the front, and the stronger UHF stations from Bakersfield (e.g. CBS (RF-33)) on the back. I doubt it will get NBC from Bakersfield though i could be wrong... It also has a slight chance of pulling in ABC from Bakersfield on the single VHF-dipole element of that unit. Again, the pre-amp recommendation holds. If the VHF dipole is ineffective, it could also be coupled to a 2475/6 using the RCA preamp.

Whatever you choose, start simple with short coax lengths (preferably new RG-6, <50-ft long) and one TV. It helps to have a buddy at the TV watching the reception to help you aim. Don't worry out the distribution problem (adding multiple TVs) until you figure out the reception problem first. Ground your antenna and mast and be CAREFUL of nearby electrical wires when on the roof.

Last edited by jrgagne99; 20-Dec-2018 at 2:35 PM.
jrgagne99 is offline   Reply With Quote