View Single Post
Old 2-Feb-2011, 11:14 PM   #17
scott784

If I have understood your posts on these boards, you've indicated that merely grounding the coax and mast to the ground rod (right next to the mast) can cause dangerous lightening charges IF the ground wiring is not ALSO tied in with the main breaker box. So if I am understanding your comments, you are saying that without the 'additional' ground wire to the main electrical ground (breaker box), it's all a waste of time? If not more detrimental to the set up?

Unfortunately, as I've said before, I would assume many people are confronted with the exact same issue as I've got. That is, their antenna and mast are no where near the breaker box. (I could not have installed my antenna near the breaker box even if I wanted to because there was not good line of sight back there). On top of that, my breaker box is near power lines.

So I guess I am wondering about the following. If a person can get all that extra length of ground wire installed around the outside corners of their house, how effective is that additional grounding going to be with these sharp turns as well as the distance factor? Also, if this exta ground wire is not used, am I correct in understanding your comments to say that it's a waste of time because of dangerous voltages between what you referred to as two separate grounds (the main one at the electrical box and the separate one at the ground rod)?

There seems to be different schools of thought on this, such as with the following link: http://www.hdtvprimer.com/ANTENNAS/basics.html
(Move down to antenna grounding once you are within that link above).

What are your thoughts on my questions? I appreciate any additional comments you have on this matter. I don't profess to know a lot about it. And of course, most people know next to nothing on this specific topic, to include my electrician guy who came out here yesterday.

Last edited by scott784; 4-Feb-2011 at 11:40 PM.
scott784 is offline   Reply With Quote