View Single Post
Old 27-Aug-2011, 4:53 PM   #4
gands

I just read what you guys provided. It has to be tropospheric ducting. I did a straight line distance measure from my house to KDKA's transmitter, and it's about 200 miles. I figured it was that far, but I just wanted to be sure. My skills as an antenna maker (my dad did most of the work -- he sort of took charge being that he used to fix TVs in the '60s) had very little to do with it. However, I don't think just rabbit ears inside the window would have cut it either seeing as the signal was very weak.

What I also noticed is that the Niagara escarpment should hamper the signal. Plus, there's large hills in PA that should also hamper the signal. It's amazing how the skies act in such a way to overcome them.

I remember picking up radio stations from New York City and Boston on occasion when I was younger, but I thought DTV was a lot more fragile. I'm curious now if I point my antenna southeast if I can pick up New York or Boston when it's overcast. I'll try.

My antenna is also tilted very slightly (maybe a couple of degrees -- barely noticeable) upward. Did this make a difference in reception? My father told me it does, but I'm still sceptical.
gands is offline   Reply With Quote