View Single Post
Old 2-Apr-2012, 6:46 AM   #5
GroundUrMast

Quote:
My inlaws (who are not technology savvy - to say the least), will be using the camper periodically. I do not want to use an A-B switch. I also do not want to use a rotor.
That's understandable... but makes the solution more complex (expensive).

Quote:
--- Can I use two separate UHF antennas? I've been doing a lot of reading and some people say yes, some say no.
----- If using two separate UHF antennas, I looked at incorporating a Winegard CC-7870 to combine the two UHF antennas. Has anyone used this?
Regarding the CC7870 as an antenna combiner: http://winegard.com/kbase/kb_tip_res...hp?tip_num=291. A few people get lucky combining two antennas with a reversed splitter, which is what the CC7870 is. However, most people find the results disappointing, often loosing reliable reception of one or more channels.

Quote:
--- Am I better off with two VHF/UHF combo antennas (one at each market).
Yes, though reception of real CH-16 might need a dedicated antenna. Regardless, that leaves the problem of how to make the system user friendly. I suggest you contact the folks at http:www.tinlee.com, to inquire about their tuned antenna combiner product. I believe the AC7 series product could solve the problem.

If the cost of the appropriate combiners are within your budget, you would be able to combine two or more antennas into a single coax.

From what I have seen, it looks as if mounting at 50' AGL gets you to LOS for several stations. As Electron has already observed, trees are prone to sway and find ways to damage antennas. None the less, quite a few replacement antennas could be purchased for the the cost of a self-supporting tower installation.

I would be inclined to buy one Winegard HD7698P, an Antennas Direct PA18 preamplifier and a tree mount kit (if I believed I had a good candidate tree). (Lacking a good tree mount option, I'd look at a guyed telescoping mast.) Then I'd prove to myself what can and can't be seen. From there I would decide if I could justify a second antenna and tuned combiners.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote