View Single Post
Old 16-Sep-2011, 4:10 AM   #32
Rich

Up and running

Since you guys have been so helpful, and with the idea that these posts might help somebody else in my area, I am posting this update.

We have shut down the sattelite yet; we have been slowly testing out how well this will work, But we are very close now.

The upstairs set works great on antenna. Since it is the new, digital, internet-ready TV we bought, I tested out Netflix and it works fine. It is one floor above and about 20 feet from our wireless router (Apple Time Machine). Signal is going through two walls. No delay, fuzziness. Like I said, works fine. My wife wants to be able to get specific NBC shows that so not appear to be on Netflix. However, NBC has ther own app that is apparently downloadable. OR does anybody know of a general inernet app that can be downlaoded onto a Vizio? One that will let me go to any internet site. Then she could just go to NBC.com and watch her shows.

The Zinwell ZAT-970A digital to analog converter arrived today. I hooked it up with the Leaf antenna (borrowed from upstairs) and it seems to be working fine. I am getting 31 channels. Not the most intuitive product to use, and the manual only helps a little, but it is doing what I need it to do. So now I need another antenna. Given the signal strength, I may try one of the $20 antennas I recently saw at K-Mart. If it doesn't work, I'll return it and get another Leaf. Now I'll order a Roku box, set it up, and call DirectTV and tell them to come get their dish.

The weirdest part of all of this will be actually having to think about what we want to watch. Now we just turn on the set, go to thechannel guids and look for an show to watch. Now, at least for the internet TV, we will actually have to decide on a program and then go get it. And as for broadcast stuff, we will actually have to learn TV schedules again. This will be odd.

So that's the update. Thanks again for all of your help. This has been a real education in 21st century television. And I hope this thread is useful to others in a similar situation.
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote