View Single Post
Old 16-Feb-2015, 7:12 PM   #1
Calin Cole

Reception problems I shouldnt be having

Hi everyone, I was hoping to get a little insight. Below is my radar report:
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...2c1555fdbb8055

It doesn't look like I can link the overlay map, but all those channels, despite close proximity and LOS range from the good edge of yellow through red on the map overlay.

My goals are to reliably get the first 5 channels on the list. They are in all in green as you can see, about 2.5 miles from me and I have a pretty clear line of sight.

When I first moved to the house I had small antenna on top of the TV, and it only partially worked. Channel 16 didnt come in at all. I could get either 46/19/40 or I could get 32 depending on how I tweaked the antenna positioning, but even then things were iffy.

I later moved the antenna into my attic, and found exactly no difference in reception. Relevant, my house has a wood structure but aluminum siding.

Then, I ended up building a media room in my basement and needed a new solution. So, I got an outdoor antenna, a RCA ANT751, and mounted it on my roof on the leftover mast where a DISH had been. It is about 20 feet above ground, and I have aimed it according to the maps here. I used the already existing coax run leftover from the DISH down into the basement, I would estimate that it is approximately an 80 foot run.

The results basically suck. I cant really get anything reliably. All the channels shown in green can be received occasionally but it seems random and the connection is always coming and going. Some days some channels basically work with occasional hiccups, other days they simply wont resolve at all. There does not seem to be any discernible pattern.

So, any advice is welcome, a different style of antenna or anything. I could potentially relocate the antenna also. My house is midway up a hill so I could theoretically bury a coax run up the backyard and get some additional height.

Please let me know if there is any other information that would be helpful.
Calin Cole is offline   Reply With Quote