View Single Post
Old 19-Jan-2012, 4:18 AM   #5
RenoPaul

Hi Dave.

I actually printed the diagram of the link you posted -- months ago. But, after I found that my first test with the format located at http://www.leoda.us/projects, worked so well on the 3 HI VHF stations in my area, I didn't look much further at that site.

No offense or critique intended, but the little I actually read at digitalhome was so far over my head that I didn't go much further.

However, the simple design of the William Ruckman version worked great for me. And again, I have to stress that all of the antenna retailers have had very low hopes of a working antenna system for less than $300.00.

I simply found a basic approach for testing 2 versions of this design, and found the results better than 2 commercial products. To me, that seems worthwhile sharing.

For what its worth, my first working model was made with 30 ga. buss wire, thumbtacks, and an 8 by 10 inch piece of cardboard. And according to the signal meter on my TV menu, it outperformed the ClearStream 2 on both indoor and outdoor tests, and blew the doors off the Radio Shack Amplified HDTV Indoor Antenna (Model: 15-254).

Please note that I can get reception from all of the LOS stations that are within 2 miles of my house with 12 inches of test leads clipped to the same 100 foot coax. It was the 3 - 2Edge, HI VHF stations that I really wanted. I guess that's why my 3" segment version worked so much better than my 1" version for those.

On a comical note, just this evening I found that my burr style coffee grinder, about 8 feet away from my test antenna, severely lowered signal level on the 2Edge channels when grinding coffee.

Maybe, the fractal community still has hopes. Even with old technology and designs.
RenoPaul is offline   Reply With Quote