View Single Post
Old 25-Apr-2016, 9:20 AM   #41
chris1379

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit73 View Post
That's normal; you are getting a reflection from the car. It's called dynamic multipath.
Thanks. I didn't know it was normal to get this from objects below the antenna
Quote:
Yes, you are geting reflections off metal objects like the gutter, awning, and fence that can interfere with or enhance the direct signals. It's called static multipath.
Thanks. I had this one right.
Quote:
There is no sense in trying another antenna yet until you have done the things needed with this antenna like grounding, filters, and another antenna location.
I tried a water pipe with no changes. I also drove a 4 ft. ground rod next to the antenna. It is connected to the ground block. This still doesn't make a difference in signal but it may have reduced the picture breakup on very weak signals.

The filters are homemade but are definitely working. The RCA converter can't detect the weak stations at all without one. I made one more 5-pole just to try it.

I am limited in location options but I have moved it all around the area shown. It is about 3 ft. closer to the metal pipe.

Quote:
What is your present connection system?

Ant > grounding block > HLSJ > tuner ? You should get WOWK with that.
I do but that is the station most sensitive to positioning. I can manage a 35% signal and still get dropouts. My best most effective connection is Ant > grounding block > FM trap > amplifier > 160MHz High pass > tuner. The amplifier is actually the power supply part of the Radio Shack preamp mentioned earlier. If you look inside, there is low noise 10dB adjustable amp that is meant to supplement the outdoor part, which I don't have.

Quote:
Once you have that you can try some experiments with an antenna with more gain, another filter, and a preamp for WCHS.

Ant > UVSJ > NF-471 > preamp > grounding block > power inserter > tuner

The antenna would be a UHF antenna with more gain like the 91XG

The UVSJ blocks FM and VHF-High but passes UHF

The NF-471 Notch Filter blocks UHF channels 24-29 to make 26 much weaker to keep the preamp from being overloaded by 26
I see. Level the signals as much as possible. I don't think 26 will be a problem. I only have a 60% signal because I am pointed away by 55 degrees. I think I will get a quality HLSJ and matching transformer, just for peace of mind.
chris1379 is offline   Reply With Quote