View Single Post
Old 8-Aug-2016, 2:44 PM   #7
rabbit73
Retired A/V Tech

Quote:
I was looking for the preamp with the lowest noise figure, as much like the fact you can't amplify into existence a signal that isn't there, noise introduction is also not removable once introduced.
That is correct, the preamp noise reduces the SNR of the signal coming from the antenna. But it is more than made up for by the reduction in the system noise figure which makes it possible to receive signals with a lower NM. Otherwise, there would be no point in using a preamp.
Quote:
If I can get a low noise preamp with enough strength to cover my distribution strength needs as well, that should eliminate the noise introduction of a distribution amp, should it not?
Yes, when you are using a preamp AND a distribution amp, the noise from the distribution amp (IF you really need it) will be buried in the amplified noise floor as is the tuner noise.

Quote:
Initially I'm going to point both panels west for best signal on the KC stations. If that works well, with signal margin to spare, I may try pointing the second panel at Columbia. It has one VHF Hi station that I don't expect to pull in, but all the rest are UHF. It would be neat to get the stations from both cities.

That might not work too well; you will just have to try it. There are 3 problems with that:

1. You will lose about 3 dB of antenna gain for signals from the west, because there will only be one panel aimed in that direction.
2. You will lose the front-to -back ratio of the DB8e that protects the preamp from partial overload. Partial overload can produce distortion products that might mask your weakest signals because they raise the noise floor.
3. In spite of what marketing departments say, aiming the two panels in different directions doesn't always work. The same signals from each antenna can interfere with each other if they don't arrive at the combining point in phase (at the same instant). According to ADTech, it has the best chance of working if the two directions are at a right angles (90 degree apart).

It might not be as neat as you think it will be.
Attached Images
File Type: png NMdiagOutdoorRev.png (62.2 KB, 3325 views)
File Type: jpg crashHDTVFmap.JPG (72.9 KB, 1410 views)

Last edited by rabbit73; 8-Aug-2016 at 3:39 PM.
rabbit73 is offline   Reply With Quote